Lyft and Uber Accident Lawyer — Los Angeles, CA
If you've been injured in a rideshare accident in the Los Angeles area, whether you were a passenger, pedestrian, or in another vehicle, you have the right to file a personal injury claim with a Uber accident lawyer in Los Angeles.
Let the Los Angeles personal injury lawyers at Alpha Accident Lawyers handle your Los Angeles Uber/Lyft accident. We have accident victims' best interests in mind from start to finish. Additionally, our Uber accident lawyers in Los Angeles are well-versed in Lyft and Uber car accident cases.
The laws that govern rideshare apps vary from state to state, so it is essential you have a rideshare accident attorney representing you that has extensive experience with personal injury claims. Our personal injury law firm has the resources and expertise to support you in your personal injury case. Call today to speak with an experienced attorney about your rideshare accident.START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Liability of Rideshare Drivers
In order to be a Lyft or Uber driver, a person must carry their own personal auto insurance policy. Additionally, Lyft and Uber have a $1 million insurance policy for their drivers while their one duty. Most personal auto insurance policies won't cover damages if the car is used for work purposes.
There are certain periods of time that apply to rideshare drivers and their passengers. If the Uber driver isn't on duty, then you would file an insurance claim with their personal policy. Whether or not the insurance provided by Uber or Lyft will be in effect depends upon what period a ridesharing driver is in:
- Period 0: The Lyft or Uber driver's rideshare app is turned off and their personal policy is in effect.
- Period 1: This is when the rideshare app is turned on and the Lyft or Uber driver is able to pick up a passenger but hasn't been connected with one yet. The driver's personal policy is in effect, but Lyft or Uber will provide insurance to their drivers during this period if their personal policy doesn't cover the total claim amount.
- Period 2: The Lyft or Uber driver has been connected with a passenger, but they have not entered the vehicle yet. The rideshare's company insurance policy is in effect.
- Period 3: The passenger has entered the driver's vehicle. Lyft or Uber's insurance policy covers the passenger and Lyft or Uber driver.
Insurance Policies for Rideshare Companies
Uber's Insurance Policy
Uber's insurance is a $1 million third-party liability policy that covers the driver. The policy also covers the underinsured/uninsured driver bodily injury coverage, as well as contingent comprehensive and collision coverage. If you were hit by a negligent Uber driver it's best to consult a uber accident lawyer who can advocate for you and facilitate communication with the insurance company.
Lyft's Insurance Policy
Lyft also carries a $1 million liability policy that includes comprehensive coverage and contingent collision. That means the driver must make a claim with their personal auto policy first. If their insurance company denies the claim or doesn't cover enough, Lyft will cover the remainder.
How to Determine Liability in an Uber or Lyft Accident
Most car accidents in the Los Angeles area are due to driver negligence. The negligent party is the one who is responsible and liable for damages.
Our team of lawyers will look at whether you were the rideshare passenger, pedestrian, other driver, or a passenger of the other driver at the time of the accident. We will examine the cause of the car accident and what period (0-3) the rideshare driver was in at the time.
If you were injured during the Lyft or Uber accident and the rideshare driver was at fault, you would initially make a claim with the driver's personal policy before taking it to Uber or Lyft. If another driver was the cause of the accident, the claim would be filed against the other party.
Getting into the back of an Uber or Lyft feels different than getting into your own car or one of your friends' vehicles, but you should treat it the same way.
Always ensure that your seatbelt is on. Not wearing a seatbelt can result in you not being able to claim damages or decrease the amount you receive. You can be accused of being negligent as a passenger by not doing something that could have caused fewer or no injuries.
Compensation From Uber/Lyft Accidents
The damages you can seek compensation for range from:
- medical bills
- physical therapy
- lost wages
- loss of future earning capacity
- emotional harm
- pain and suffering
These are classified as compensatory damages, in which the at-fault party pays the victim to compensate them for their losses.
In some cases, you may also claim punitive damages. In these cases, it will need to be provided that the Uber or Lyft driver was intentionally acting recklessly or intentionally causing harm. This can include phone usage while driving or not following California traffic laws.
It may be limited to specific cases that include fraud, intentional injury, or reckless injury. An example would be if Uber or Lyft knew they were the negligent party and tried to hide their involvement.
Family members of victims who were killed in a rideshare accident can recover financial compensation under California's wrongful death laws. They can seek compensation for financial loss, funeral expenses, and loss of support and companionship.
With a seasoned Lyft or Uber accident lawyer, you can ensure you will have the best legal representation on your side, dedicated to delivering the best possible results for your case. A seasoned rideshare accident lawyer will fight to get you the fair compensation you are rightfully owed.START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Steps to Take After a Los Angeles Lyft or Uber Accident
If you've been in a rideshare accident:
1. Seek medical attention, even if you're not visibly injured. Some injuries can take several days to manifest but having medical records will provide evidence in your Lyft or Uber accident claim. Also, the other party's insurance company could interpret you not seeking medical attention immediately as you not having serious injuries. This is not ideal, as we want to give your Lyft or Uber accident claim the best chance at success.
2. Call the police and file a police report. If there were any witnesses, take down their names and contact information. Take photos of the car accident scene, if you're able, including pictures of the cars involved, any skid marks, property damage, and road signs.
3. Do not sign anything. Even as the victim, you can still be held liable for the rideshare accident. Therefore, after the accident, say as little as possible until you have spoken to an attorney. Anything you say could be taken out of context. Additionally, if the rideshare’s insurance contacts you with a settlement offer, do not agree to it, and do not sign anything. Again, hold off until you have consulted with an attorney, so you are not cheated out of a fair settlement.
4. Contact an Uber/Lyft lawyer. As soon as possible, contact an established law firm that has extensive knowledge of dealing with rideshare accidents. At Alpha Accident Lawyers, our team will begin working on your settlement claim from day one. We offer a no-obligation, free consultation to get started. Call us today to learn more.
Contact Our Uber Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles Today
Have you sustained serious injuries and medical bills from a Lyft or Uber accident? The last thing you need to worry about when you're recovering from a rideshare accident is how to deal with the financial and emotional burden. Let Alpha Accident Lawyers be your advocate for handling the insurance company and your Uber/Lyft accident claim.
Our Lyft and Uber accident attorneys will investigate your accident and argue on your behalf, getting you the financial compensation you deserve. If you have been injured in a Uber or Lyft accident due to another driver's negligence, our Lyft or Uber accident attorneys can help. Call today and speak with a Lyft or Uber accident attorney.Call Today
Spanning 163,695 square miles, California is comprised of a diverse landscape. From sunny beaches to snowy mountainsides, popular CA regions are Los Angeles County, San Diego County, San Francisco Bay, Orange County, and the Mojave desert. Popular attractions are spread throughout the state and include Yosemite National Park, Disneyland, San Diego Zoo, Golden Gate Bridge, and The Getty Museum