Pedestrian Accident Attorneys — Dallas, TX
Like many cities in Texas, Dallas experiences a regular occurrence of traffic accidents. Pedestrian accidents make up a substantial portion of crashes in the city. These types of accidents can result in serious injury and have devastating effects on victims. In the worst scenarios, pedestrian accidents can result in wrongful death. If you or a family member are the victims of a personal injury accident caused by a negligent party, compensation may be available.
Alpha Accident Lawyers is skilled in obtaining full and fair compensation for injured victims of pedestrian accidents. To discuss your Dallas pedestrian accident claim in full detail, schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Dallas pedestrian accident attorneys.Call for Your Free Consultation
Types of Dallas Pedestrian Accidents
A pedestrian accident is a collision where a motor vehicles collide with pedestrians walking. This can occur on a highway, roadway, parking lot, neighborhood, or anywhere where people and cars are present.
Often, the vehicle's driver is at fault for a pedestrian accident, but there are times when the pedestrian could be found partially at fault. For example, if the pedestrian was jaywalking and got hit, the driver could be found partially innocent.
However, in most cases, pedestrian accidents occur at crosswalks, marked intersections, or on sidewalks. Drivers should always yield to a pedestrian crossing, but sometimes, pedestrians are not always visible to drivers.
This is particularly evident at long intersections where vehicles can make left turns. Accidents also occur when negligent drivers are making right turns, even though traffic light signals indicate that the pedestrian has permission to walk.
The outcome of collisions can leave pedestrian accident victims in a vulnerable and seriously injured state. Even if you believe you were partially to blame for the crash, consult with a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer for more information for your personal injury claim.
There are multiple angles to approach a personal injury case, and yours could be more valuable than you believe.
The Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Lack of visibility can contribute to a pedestrian accident, especially at night or in bad weather. However, when someone is struck by a motor vehicle, it’s often due to driver negligence. Negligence in most pedestrian accidents can be exhibited in the following ways:
- Ignoring traffic signs
- Running red lights
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Intoxicated/drunk driving
- Not yielding
Those most vulnerable to fatal pedestrian accidents or serious accidents include young children and the elderly, as the serious injuries they sustain can prove to be more threatening.
Regardless, a pedestrian accident can occur anywhere and at any time, causing severe injuries that require extensive medical treatment. If you or a loved one were hit by a negligent driver, a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover compensation for damages.
Liability in a Pedestrian Accident
Proving who is liable in a pedestrian accident can be complicated if multiple parties are involved. However, it is not uncommon for multiple people to be at fault in a crash. The following have been found liable in pedestrian accidents:
- Various motorists operating passenger vehicles such as a car or another motor vehicle
- Government entities, such as those operating government vehicles, like a city bus or garbage truck or the city of Dallas if they failed to maintain road conditions and traffic signals
- Companies and businesses, such as Uber and Lyft or a trucking company if one of their reckless drivers was negligent in the pedestrian accident
Comparative Negligence for Pedestrian Accident Victims
Because fault can be shared, Texas law allows multiple parties to share the legal consequences of negligent behavior. Therefore, every party who is found at fault will owe a percentage in damages.
This can include pedestrians. Instead of being denied damages, the victim’s compensation will be decreased. For example, if a jury decides the victim is 30% at fault and the driver is 70% at fault, then the victim will receive 70% of damages based on their degree of negligence.
How Dallas Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Prove Negligence
Evidence, like police reports, eyewitness accounts, and photographs of the accident scene will be valuable in a Dallas pedestrian accident claim. In order to prove which party was liable, “negligence” must be proven. In the state of Texas, four elements must be indicated in order to prove that someone was negligent.
- Duty of care was owed - Everyone is responsible for acting in a reasonable manner that does not endanger someone else. For example, when a motorist is approaching a pedestrian crosswalk, that driver owes the pedestrian a duty of care to slow down and yield.
- Breach of duty of care - This is the act of the defendant failing to provide a duty of care. For example, if the driver speeds through a crosswalk, that driver has breached the duty of care.
- Causation - The breach of duty can be linked to the aftermath. For example, the speeding driver “caused” the accident to ensue. If the defendant did not act in a reckless manner and obeyed traffic laws, an accident would not have resulted.
- Damages - At this stage, it must be presented what injuries and financial losses ensued from the collision. Accidents involving pedestrian fatalities allow surviving family members to seek compensation on their loved one's behalf.
What to Do if You Were Injured in a Pedestrian Accident
Prioritize your health. If you were hit by a motor vehicle, make sure to move away from oncoming traffic. For assistance and to report the crash, contact emergency services by dialing 911. You can also call Dallas County’s Courtesy Patrol at 214-320-4444; these first responders will assist in controlling traffic and provide necessary assistance to injured victims.
If your injuries do not interfere, exchange information with the person who hit you. You will need a name, phone number, vehicle description, license number, and insurance information. If your accident was a hit-and-run, try to take photos of the driver and car before they leave. As they leave the accident scene, take note of key details like color, make, model, and the driver’s appearance.
If the driver does not flee, wait for help to arrive and avoid interacting, unless it’s to exchange information. While waiting, take pictures of the scene, the vehicle that hit you, and your injuries. Photographic evidence is very valuable in personal injury claims. After the police arrive and finish creating a police report, seek immediate medical attention.
Seeing a doctor is vital to your health and to the success of your case. Common injuries suffered include broken bones and scarring, which are apparent. However, internal injuries are not visible and can only be determined by a doctor. Medical records from your doctor's visits will indicate how much was spent on medical expenses and will help determine future medical costs.
The Worth of Your Pedestrian Accident Case
Any type of personal injury accident will require a detailed investigation by an experienced pedestrian accident attorney. An investigation will indicate who was at fault and what losses were suffered as a result of the crash.
Therefore, a law firm claiming to know how much your case is worth before conducting a background check may not be the most reliable or credible. The value of a claim will be based on economic damages and non-economic damages.
Pedestrian accident cases all possess unique case values. Essentially, the greater the damages, the more the case will be worth. This is because serious injuries, like spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries, require specialized medical treatment.
And, such treatment creates costly medical expenses. It's not fair for pedestrian accident victims to pay for these costs. This is why the personal injury lawyers from Alpha are dedicated to serving pedestrian accident victims and fighting the legal battles so that the insurance company is held accountable.
Types of Damages in a Pedestrian Accident
Economic damages have a monetary value and can typically be determined based on receipts and billing statements. Non-economic damages are less apparent and typically pertain more to the physical and mental aftermath that the accident caused. The following factors will be considered:
- Severity of injuries
- Medical bills that are owed or were paid
- Future medical bills for treatments
- If a disability resulted
- Available evidence proving damages
- Lost wages if work was missed
- Victim’s insurance policy
- The driver’s insurance coverage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental trauma and emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Schedule a free consultation with our law firm to learn how much your case could be worth. We do not charge any legal fees for the consultation, and we do not charge for our services unless your case results in a victory.
Dallas Pedestrian Accident Statistics
On average, pedestrian fatalities occur every 75 minutes in the US, with more than 7,000 fatalities in 2020. More concerning, new studies have found that Dallas has the second worst traffic fatality rate in the nation. The report noted that the city experiences more than 14 deaths per 100,000 people.
Unfortunately, a recent city audit determined that the city currently does not have any plans to reduce pedestrian accidents. While concerns and plans to implement solutions were discussed in 2019’s Vision Zero initiative, Dallas does not have a set tracking system to monitor progress.
Additionally, the city has a backlog of 1,500 crosswalks that must be re-marked; the goal is to hit 830 crosswalks per year, but only 70 crosswalks have been funded. Of the largest US cities, Dallas has the highest rate of fatal pedestrian accidents. The most dangerous roads and intersections in the city are:
- Rosa Parks Plaza DART bus hub
- West END Station
- Lovers Lane Station
- Park Lane Station
- W. Northwest Hwy.
- W. Exchange Pkwy.
- Texas 121 Hwy.
- Interstate 35E
- Old Town in the Village Shopping Center
- E. Ledbetter Dr. at Bonnie View Rd.
- E. Ledbetter Dr. at Sunnyvale St.
- Greenville Ave. at E. Lovers Ln.
- Malcolm X Blvd. at Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Spring Valley Rd. at Coit Rd.
- Jefferson Blvd. at S. Llewellyn Ave.
- Lake June Rd. at Buckner Rd.
How Dallas Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Help
At Alpha Accident Lawyers, we deliver results because our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers are dedicated to helping injured victims who have just undergone a serious accident. Our personal injury law firm in Dallas can help you with your case by:
- Assisting with all of your legal needs. Our law firm will investigate the accident and collect key evidence to support your claim. From there, our Dallas pedestrian accident attorneys file a personal injury claim and negotiate with the insurance company so you can recover maximum compensation. Alpha's personal injury attorneys can also assist with other legal aspects, like litigation and trial.
- Evaluating case value. With years of experience, our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers know how to assess each case we take on. Therefore, from the available information and evidence, our law firm can determine how much your case is worth, seeking both economic and non-economic damages.
- Proficiently reach a resolution. Alpha has the resources, experience, and professional legal team to back your pedestrian accident case. All of these factors contribute to establishing a resolution for your case. It also improves your chances of settling with the insurance company in a timely manner.
- Client-first approach. We understand accidents can occur at any time. This is why our law firm provides 24/7 support, making a team member available to assist you at any time of the day. In addition, we provide a free case review and work on a contingency basis. An attorney-client relationship is important to us. This is why we do not bill clients with hidden legal fees and do not collect compensation if the case is not a success.
Alpha Accident Lawyers holds a 99% success rate, and our personal injury attorneys have a reputation for providing top-quality legal representation. A Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer will also help with the legal complexities that can emerge from personal injury accidents. Schedule a free case evaluation to learn how our experienced legal team can help you with your pedestrian accident case.START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION