A Trusted Sacramento Car Accident Attorney
Were You Injured in a Sacramento Car Accident?
Being in a car accident can be a life-altering experience. Car accident victims often suffer from serious injuries, lost wages, extensive medical bills, and mental distress. If you were injured in a Sacramento car accident caused by another person’s negligence, you may be able to pursue a personal injury claim. An experienced Sacramento car accident attorney can help you seek compensation for your losses.
At Alpha Accident Lawyers, our personal injury attorney in Sacramento is committed to helping auto accident victims obtain justice. Our law firm maintains a 99% success rate and have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We will thoroughly investigate your claim, handle the insurance companies, and help you recover the maximum compensation available. Call our personal injury law office today to schedule a free consultation.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help My Personal Injury Claim?
An experienced Sacramento personal injury lawyer can help car crash victims pursue compensation for the losses they have suffered. The goal of a personal injury attorney is to help restore the victim to the condition they were in before the injury happened.
- Car accident attorneys will investigate the case, gather strong evidence, and build a compelling personal injury claim.
- Auto accident attorneys will speak to witnesses and gather statements. They also have connections to expert witnesses like car accident reconstruction experts, medical experts, engineers, and mental health professionals.
- After a car wreck, it can be difficult to calculate the true value of your losses. An auto accident attorney will meticulously assess all aspects of the accident, including latent injuries and long-term effects, and ensure that their clients recover fair financial compensation.
- A Sacramento car accident attorney will communicate and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Car accident attorneys will help you file your car accident claim and hold the at-fault party accountable.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Sacramento, California
Unfortunately, Sacramento car accidents are common. In 2020, there were 3,205 victims injured and killed in auto accidents across Sacramento.
Speeding is one of the leading causes of car accidents in the United States. In Sacramento, speeding resulted in 528 injuries and fatalities in 2020. Speeding is a factor of about 29% of fatal traffic accidents. When drivers exceed the posted speed limits, they significantly reduce the time and space needed to navigate potential road hazards.
Additionally, high-speed collisions typically result in more severe injuries. In many cases, drivers may underestimate the dangers of speeding, especially on familiar roads or during light traffic conditions. It is essential for all motor vehicle drivers to obey speed limits and adjust their speed based on weather and road conditions.
Distracted driving is extremely dangerous. Non-driving activities like texting, making phone calls, eating or drinking, browsing social media, or adjusting the GPS divert a driver's attention from the road and increase the risk of a potential auto accident. To prevent accidents caused by distracted driving, it is crucial for drivers to prioritize their safety and that of others by staying focused solely on the task of driving.
Reckless driving is a reckless disregard for the safety of others on the road. It includes dangerous behaviors such as aggressive tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, ignoring traffic signals, and excessive lane changing. Reckless drivers not only put themselves at risk but also endanger the lives of other motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists. Impatience and a lack of consideration for others often fuel reckless driving. It is vital for drivers to exercise patience, follow traffic rules, and maintain a calm demeanor while on the road to prevent reckless driving accidents.
Driving While Intoxicated
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs significantly increases the chances of car accidents. Even a small amount of alcohol can impact one's driving ability. Alcohol impairs a driver's judgment, coordination, and reaction time, making them more likely to cause a serious auto accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 31% of all auto accident fatalities in the US involve drunk drivers.
Despite strict laws against drunk driving, many individuals continue to drive while intoxicated, putting the lives of others in jeopardy. It is essential to drink responsibly, use designated drivers or rideshare services, and report suspected impaired drivers to the authorities.
Fatigued driving, also known as drowsy driving, is a common cause of motor vehicle accidents. Drivers are especially susceptible to drowsy driving during long road trips or late-night driving. Sleep deprivation can impair a driver's cognitive abilities, leading to slower reaction times, decreased attention, and even brief moments of micro-sleep behind the wheel. Micro-sleep occurs when a person experiences short, involuntary periods of inattention.
Drowsy driving impacts more than 9.5 million shift workers across the United States. Commercial drivers and those with late-night graveyard shifts are particularly susceptible to fatigued driving. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), property-carrying drivers may not drive for more than 11 hours after 10 consecutive hours off duty.
Poor weather conditions contribute significantly to car accidents. Reduced visibility, slippery roads, and decreased tire traction make it challenging for drivers to maintain control of their vehicles. Poor weather may include:
- Icy roads
- Strong winds
Additionally, many drivers fail to adjust their driving to accommodate poor weather conditions. Drivers should reduce their speed, increase their following distance, and use headlights and wipers when necessary.
Proving Negligence in a Car Accident Claim
California law allows victims to pursue financial compensation after an auto accident. California follows a system of pure comparative negligence, which is a legal doctrine that is used in personal injury cases. When a party fails to exercise reasonable care and causes an accident, the victims can pursue a claim against the at-fault party. Pure comparative negligence allocates fault based on the percentage of liability each party holds.
This means that even if the plaintiff is found to have contributed to the accident, they can still recover damages. However, the amount of compensation they may obtain will be reduced by their percentage of fault. For example, if the plaintiff is found 15% at fault and is pursuing $100,000 in damages, they may ultimately receive $85,000 after the deduction for their share of fault.
To prove pure negligence in California, the plaintiff must demonstrate the following elements:
The Duty of Care
The defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff. This means that the defendant had a legal obligation to exercise care to avoid causing foreseeable harm to others.
Breach of Duty
The defendant did not uphold their duty of care. The defendant failed to act reasonably or engaged in actions that a reasonably careful person would not have done under similar circumstances.
The plaintiff must prove that the defendant's actions or negligence were a direct cause of the accident and resulting damages.
The plaintiff must have suffered injuries or damages caused by the motor vehicle accident.
The damages awarded in a personal injury case aim to make the injured party whole again by covering medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses. Experienced Sacramento car accident attorneys can help auto accident victims calculate and prove their losses.START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
Hiring a car accident lawyer is essential for several critical reasons:
- Legal Expertise – Car accident lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of the legal complexities involved in the personal injury claims process. They are well-versed in the statute of limitations and local laws that apply to your situation. They will help you navigate the legal system and ensure you don't miss any deadlines or requirements.
- Determining Liability – Establishing liability in a car accident can be challenging, especially when multiple parties are involved. A Sacramento car accident lawyer will thoroughly investigate your case, gather evidence, and interview witnesses to strengthen your claim.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies – Dealing with insurance companies can be a frustrating and overwhelming process. Insurance adjusters often try to minimize settlements or assign fault. An experienced personal injury lawyer understands the tactics used by insurance companies and will advocate for your rights.
- Calculating Damages – An auto accident attorney will help you calculate the true extent of your losses, including hospital bills, lost income, property damage, and emotional distress. Personal injury attorneys will consider both current and future expenses related to your injuries, and pursue fair compensation.
- Representation in Trial – While most car accident cases are settled out of court, some may require litigation. If the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, having a lawyer who is well-prepared to take your case to trial is crucial. Experienced trial representation can have a significant impact on the final settlement amount.
- Dealing with Complex Cases – Some car accidents involve complex legal issues, such as accidents with multiple parties, commercial vehicles, or government entities. A car accident lawyer has the experience and resources to handle these complexities and build a compelling case on your behalf.
- Peace of Mind and Support – Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident can be stressful and overwhelming. Having a car accident lawyer handle the legal aspects of your case allows you to focus on your recovery and well-being.
Dealing With Car Insurance Companies in California
The other driver's insurance company may try to contact you after the accident and ask for a statement. It’s best not to provide the car insurance company with any details pertaining to the auto accident or your injuries. You are not legally required to talk to the other driver’s insurance company. The other party’s insurance company could use anything you say against you.
Insurance adjusters are well-trained to find reasons to minimize or deny your car accident claim. An insurance adjuster may ask leading questions to get you to admit fault or try to intimidate you into accepting a low settlement offer. It’s essential to have a car accident attorney on your side who will protect your rights and best interests.
At Alpha Accident Lawyers, we know how to deal with each insurance company and its deceptive tactics. Our personal injury lawyers will facilitate all communication with the insurance companies on your behalf. We negotiate aggressively and fight to recover the maximum compensation.
No Fees Until We Win
If you are concerned about the cost of hiring a Sacramento auto accident lawyer, remember that most personal injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. At Alpha Accident Lawyers we follow a contingency fee arrangement. This means that our clients don't pay upfront for legal fees. You will only pay us if we win your case.
Contact Alpha Accident Lawyers
Our personal injury law firm is located at 1201 J St Suite 337, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Get a Free Consultation Today
If you or a loved one was injured in a Sacramento car accident, don't hesitate to consult with a personal injury lawyer. At Alpha Accident Lawyers, we are dedicated to helping injured victims obtain justice. Our experienced Sacramento car accident attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Our personal injury attorneys have received a 10.0 Superb Rating from Avvo and have been recognized for their legal excellence by prominent organizations, including the National Trial Lawyers, and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Call our Sacramento law firm today to schedule a free consultation.Call Today